Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The City of Eldarus offical forum.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A cure at long last.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Freyja Wolfsdotter

Freyja Wolfsdotter

A cure at long last. Empty
PostSubject: A cure at long last.   A cure at long last. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 11:30 pm

Svenia sighed heavily, rubbing her eyes as she moved the chair back, moving to a tall shelf against the far wall, climbing a small ladder in order to grab a small jar. Checking the label to make sure it was the one she wanted, she walked back over the desk she had been working out, other jars and stacks of books spread out over the surface. Opening the fresh jar, she took a pinch of the dried herb, her nose wrinkling at the smell, and added it to the concotion she had been working on for the past few days. "If this doesn't work, we are out of hope," she muttered aloud, stirring the mixture of various herbs. "Please, Aurinia, do not fail us now, when we need your guiding hand and light most."
Freyja Wolfsdotter walked to the Temple from her home, she wore a cloak around her body to hide her appearance from the others. She moved slowly stopping often to cough into her hands. Her body ached just from breathing. Even if a cure wasnt found, she thought it best to keep herself away from the other town inhabitants. Bad enough the boy infected the whole Coachman, but she didn't need to add to it. Stopping at the temple door, her tired pale hand knocked as hard as she could on it. Her hood up over her face casting it in shadows.
Svenia didn't hear the knocking, but another priestess, wearing a mask over her nose and mouth and thin gloves, pulled open the door. "I am sorry, but we are not allowing anyone enterance to the Temple. In case you have no heard, there is a sickness that started here, and we are trying to limit the town's exposure to it." the elven priestess said wearily.
Freyja Wolfsdotter lifted her tired blue eyes to look at the elven priestess, her blond hair falling around her neck looked thing and sickly as well "I am well aware of the illness. I have come seeking Svenia. And I am not leaving till I do" Her face still in shadows for the most part though her mouth could be seen set and determined.
Svenia ::The priestess hesitated, but she could tell from the witches stance and voice that she was ill. She stepped aside and let Freyja pass into the Temple. "Svenia has been spending the last few days locked up in the library, hoping to find a cure." She lead her towards the room, keeping the pace slow, offering the witch an arm to lean on should she need it.
Freyja Wolfsdotter was not so proud as not to accept the arm when offered. Grasping hold of it as much as she could, she nodded her head to the priestess "I hope she had better luck than I did" She really hoped that she was closer. Freyja had found some things but there were missing pieces. The disease had died out where she was before she could finish her reseach.
Svenia looked up as the door to the library opened, admitting the priestess and Freyja. The elf's eyes were tired, but alert, and she realized right away that something was wrong with the witch. "Oh no," she said slowly, setting the container down, heading over to the pair and leading the witch to a free chair. "How far along?" she asked, placing a hand on the woman's arm, holding her breath. The other cleric left the room, closing the door behind her.
Freyja Wolfsdotter moved slowly with Svenia, shivering slightly as she just wanted to curl up in a soft bed "F....fever and aches started.....few days ago. Boy in the tavern...........tried to save him but couldn't" Looking up at her she gave a smile as tired as she was "Most I could do was easy his transition to the spirit world. "
Svenia nodded, closing her eyes, wondering if it had been her trip to the market square that had infected others. "I am sorry." she said quietly. "But I am glad you are here. I think I am close to finding a cure." she stood up, moving towards the table, bringing the mixture back to Freyja. "Yarrow, Garlic, sweet sagewrot. Echiniacea and poppy."
Freyja Wolfsdotter sat down in hte offered chair, taking mixture from Svenia with shakey hands. Her skin was damp and sweety "Interesting. What of Sorrel? Trick is that they are good herbs as you know. But depending ..." turning her head to cough a bit before shaking, this lasting several moments before looking back to Svenia "depending on how far along it is. Some of these won't work as well if is caught early..."
Svenia sighed and nodded, taking the mixture back from Freyja. "I fear that as well. I don't know if there is anything I can do for those who have already fallen into the coma. But for those who haven't, I may be able to save them." she set the container down on the desk, moving back over to the shelves to hunt for sorrel, as suggested.
Freyja Wolfsdotter closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around her "Once in the coma the only thing to do is set them free as painlessly as possible. " Gasped for air as her head lolled back against hte back of the chair "Least not the townsfolk are aware of whats going on. Just hope a mob scene doesn't come of this. The orphanage may be burnt to the ground with torches and everyone inside with it if they get the notion to do so"
Svenia found the sorrel, taking the jar and adding some of it to the mixture. Her body was tense, and she nodded. "I could not allow that to happen. Now that the source as been exterminated, we just have to be careful not to let it spread any further, and to concentrate on those who are ill." she turned around and looked at Freyja. "Which happens to include you. You should be in bed, instead of spending energy you should be using to fight this."
Freyja Wolfsdotter lifted her head to look at Svenia "I am already ill. A cure was not in my knowledge. Only partial things which I ne'er got to complete. What good would it do if my knowledge could be used but instead lay waisting away in bed. Waiting for the disease to finish me off. I already know there is illness here and you elves seems partially, if not, fully immune to it. Rest I will if I must but it won't be at home with the rats waiting for a feast on my dead carcess"
Svenia sighed and attempted a smile, deciding not to inform her that she wasn't as immune to the disease as she first thought. Three elves had fallen victim to the illness, and once they contacted it, they seemed to progress through the illness much quicker than humans. "I understand. What did you find out before you got sick?"
Freyja Wolfsdotter ran a hand over her temples, massaging them al ittle. "Some herbs only stall the inevitable. Burnet Saxifrage......does not work on this type of plague. Only makes it move faster"
Svenia sank into an empty chair, exhausted, putting her head in her hands, looking smaller than usual. "I just feel so lost. I don't know an awful lot about herbs, most of what I've done with this is through the reading I've done in the past few days. Usually, our spells and prayers will heal most any sickness, but it seems as though Aurinia has turned a deaf ear to us." She took in a deep shuddering breath, tears forming in her eyes. "So many have already died from this... so many innocent lives, cut short before they even began."
Freyja Wolfsdotter watched her as she rested her head on her hand, "Have you considered at all an alternative to all of this? " Her eyes turning towards the jar with the herbs in it, leaning foward she picked it up again and shook it a little as she thought. "Butterbur..........thats what this needs. "
Svenia rested her head on the top rung and sighed. "I've been trying to think of reasons why - perhaps she is testing us. I am trying not to let my faith waver, but which each child that passes, I am ashamed to admit that I lose a little faith." she moved a few bottles out of the way and frowned, wondering if the Temple didn't stock the herb, but finally she located a small vial of it at the back.
Freyja Wolfsdotter pulled her legs up to her chest, curling up as shivers took her. She fought the urge to empty her stomach. She was NOT that far along "Maybe your goddess is finally giving a permanent home to the orphans here. Is it always this cold?"
Svenia looked back at Freyja as she desended the ladder, sympathy in her eyes. The room was actualy quite warm, at least it was to her as she'd been going up and down the ladder for the past few hours. She reached for the cloak she had drapped over a chair, tucking it around the witch. "Maybe she is," she sighed, patting the human's shoulder before going to add the butterbur to the mixture. She held it up to the light from the low burning fire, and smiled weakily. "Anything else we should add or should we test it?"
Freyja Wolfsdotter wrapped the extra cloak around her, looking at the mixture "test............but question is how. Drink? oinment? "
Svenia looked at the mixture and sighed. "I think it should be a drink. Most of the symptoms are internal, not topical." she pointed out, and pulled a box to her, filled with empty tea bags, spooning the herbal mixture into them evenly.
Freyja Wolfsdotter closed her eyes, her head swimming as the room spun around her "Now I know what makes them puke........"
Svenia quickly moved over to Freyja, taking her arm. "Come, we should make you more comfortable. At least get you to lie down." she said soothingly. "I know you don't want to go to the sick room, but we do have some private rooms on this wing that you can rest in."
Freyja Wolfsdotter was too dazed and confused to argue "Alright" Letting Svenia lead her around like a frail old woman. Muttering words of a spell she had prepared earlier. only the final word would need to be said at the right time, if that time came.
Svenia blinked a few times, her sleep deprived mind trying to figure out what she meant. "Oh. Its fine," she said slowly, rubbing the wrist upon which the mark had been placed. "Is it not supposed to be?" she asked.
Freyja Wolfsdotter reached for her wrist, her hand held out and shaking greatly "We shall see......" Each mark she put on a person was different to that person. Svenia was a indicator of the cleric's health. Her mind and her physical health. If either were to start to fail it would get darker, showing a pentagram but the points would be curved to show softer siders.
Svenia hesitated, then held her hand out, letting the witch take it in her own. She had been preoccupied, and truth be told, she hadn't given the marking more than a passing thought since Freyja had put it on her. She looked at it now, and was surprised to see that it was darker than it had been - not very dark, but clearly visible on her fair skin. "what does it mean?" she asked
Freyja Wolfsdotter took Svenia's arm in her hand, running a finger over it "You're not well........." Looking up at Svenia with a slightly narrowed gaze 'The sicker you are the darker it gets. But if is your mind or your health I can't tell it. Its not dark enough to tell the designs pattern" Held the cup of tea out to Svenia "perhaps you should drink this"
Svenia shook her head, and pushed the tea back to her. "If I am sick at it, it just exhaustion. I've gotten little sleep the past week or so. You need the tea more than. I will take some myself later." she promised.
Freyja Wolfsdotter took the tea sipping it and making a face again "You just don't want to drink this swill" Laying back on the bed, looking up at the ceiling "I wonder how long this will take"
Svenia sat down in the sole chair in the room, watching the woman carefully. "I will stay with you as long as it takes to figure out if it will have an effect or not." she promised. "You will not be alone, no matter what."
Freyja Wolfsdotter smiled and looked to Svenia "Thank you." Sitting up slightly before flopping back down "Amazed that boy made it into the tavern" Closing her eyes as she felt the room spinning a bit more .
Svenia bit her lower lip before deciding to question the woman further. "Did you find out where the boy had come from?" she asked quietly.
Freyja Wolfsdotter didn't even attempt to open her eyes as she answered Svenia "I heard a woman in the tavern say that she knew his family. It was down by the warf. Burnt the house down to the ground with his dead mother....and sister in it" She decided not to tell Sven that she'd heard the little girl was shot first.
Svenia nodded, and made sure that Freyja had drained the teacup before placing it aside, watching her carefully to see if there would be any change. She just hoped that should the tea be effective, that she had come up with it in time to save her.
Freyja Wolfsdotter finished her tea, laying still on the bed, the final word of her spell on her lips. It would take her knowledge and transfer it all to Svenia if her mark didn't get too dark. Then it would be repelled and vanish. She moaned a little before gasping for breath. A sweat starting to break out on her forehead.
Svenia stood up, bringing a bowl of lukewarm water and a cloth into the room, sponging Freyja's forehead, trying to bring her some comfort as the fever raged. "Please, Aurinia, hear my prayer. Save this woman, so that we may save the rest." she prayed softly, bowing her head as she held onto Freyja's hand, showing her that she was not alone.
Freyja Wolfsdotter saw visions in her head, shaking her head of them as her forehead was washed with the water and cloth. There would be movement around Svenia as the spirit that had attached itself to Freyja moved around. The spirit not knowing if it wanted her to join her or not. The night would wear on as Frey went in and out of conciousness. Never to coma status and luckily never any purple spots on her skin. The tea was working but it was a hard won battle of the infection vs the medicinal tea. Her breathing shallow and struggling at best.
Svenia forced herself to stay awake, carefully monitoring the witches progress into the sickness, noting the fact that though the fever waged on, she did not slip into the deadly coma, as most had by the state. Her prayers continued long into the night, and she drank a cup of the tea to ward off the illness, as she had been exposed to a lot of it during the week. Her body was already weak from exhaustion, but partway through the night she called to a passing priestess, and told her to dispurse the tea to the others, including the high priestess, who had fallen ill two nights ago.
Freyja Wolfsdotter finally had her fever break, her eyes opened slowly as her head turned and looked at Svenia. "Water....please?" Her voice was rough and scratchy like she'd gone day without water and was starting to dehydrate. In fact the herbs had pulled the infection from her blood, along with the moisture in her body. She had a sever case of dry mouth.
Svenia nodded, pouring a glass of water, this coming from a well in the city, that had not been infected, helping Freyja drink. "Thank the goddess," she breathed, a smile crossing her tired features. "I thought for a while there you would slip away."
Freyja Wolfsdotter star up more, her hands shaking a bit still but drinking the water like it was going out of style "Did......." Her hands wiping sweat from her face "Warn the others ..........if you've passed it out already"
Svenia nodded her head. "I had one of the priestess give it to those who weren't too far gone." she informed her, taking the cloth and moistiing it again, wiping the sweat from her face. "How do you feel?"
Freyja Wolfsdotter moaned softly as the sweat was wiped away "I feel.........exhausted. Like the participants in the tournament. But better than I did"
Svenia nodded, wetting the cloth and wringing it out, drapping it across her forehead. "You may be weak for the next few days, but I think you are over the worst of it," she smiled, studying the woman carefully, checking her heartrate and eyes for signs of fever.
Freyja Wolfsdotter smiled and nodded her head, her eyes were a little red and her face flushed "Do you mind if I stay here for a bit?"
Svenia shook her head and smiled softly. "Of course not. This room is yours for as long as you need it." she promised, squeezing the woman's hand gently. "We do not turn out those in need, especially ones who helped to come up with the cure."
Freyja Wolfsdotter laughed tiredly, squeezing Sveni'as hand as best as she could "And those that are the human test subjects aye?" Her head dropping back agains the pillow more. "I need..........to sleep now though. So tired.....so very very tired"
Svenia nodded, standing up and stretching her back. "yes, human and elven," she yawned. "You get some sleep, regain your strength. I need to see how the others are doing, particularly the High Priestess."
Freyja Wolfsdotter nodded her head, her body drifting off into much needed restorative sleep before she was even done nodding her head.
Back to top Go down

A cure at long last.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Archives :: Eldarus Events-
Jump to: